Here is your Summer2020 edition of the Reynolds-Hanafin-Cooley Branch of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann newsletter.
SUMMER2020 CCÉ Boston Newsletter [PDF] (printable)
Some Highlights from our Current Newsletter
Is it really the middle of August? Where did the summer go? Time is defined in units of measurement but it’s also framed against the background of events. With many of our usual events rescheduled, cancelled or changed, our perspective of summer has been diminished. What summer? But consider this. We are five months into the pandemic. But we are also five months into the science of the virus as scientists around the world work on a vaccine. The Comhaltas organization is striving to bring you opportunities to continue participating in Irish music, dance, language, history, and cultural and social events in the safest ways possible.
The Larry Reynolds Memorial Scholarship is now open to branch members under the age of 21 years. For information go to cceboston.org/scholarships/ where you can check your eligibility, download the application and submit online.
News From Our Music School
Traditionally, autumn is the time to restart. And that will be the focus for the CCÉ Boston Music School as they discuss options for the upcoming school year. Discussion are ongoing about how best to re-open the music school and safely bring classes to our students. You may check the music school website at Boston Comhaltas Music School for updates.
- Read some of the reflections our members have sent…what they miss.
- A reel by written by Bill Black, member, for a set dancer, Donna Sheehan. Sheet music inside.
- History classes are once again coming to our devices.
Keep in touch…connect with us
- Share your email with us to receive periodic notices, most of them virtual. Complete the contact form here
- Connect with us on our Boston Comhaltas Facebook page.
- If you’re not already a member, you might also be interested in joining our long-standing CCÉ Boston Music School Facebook group.
- We’re also on Twitter! Follow us there @ccebostonorg.
Online Trad Resouces
- The Comhaltas website has music and video archive
- Clare FM – The West Wind. Listen live Monday to Friday 2 to 4 pm Boston time
- www.clare.fm ~ listen back to recordings
- TG4 Irish television channel www.tg4.ie has a terrific archive of music programs. The website can be switched to English at the top right hand corner of the page. Recommended ~ watch programs such as Gradam Ceoil TG4, Tradfest TG4, Sé Mo Laoch, Geantraí, Hup and many more.
Check occasionally for virtual and otherwise safe events at these locations:
- The Canadian American Club – the site of our branch Irish set dancing workshops and our regular semi-monthly Irish Seisiun/ceilI
- the Irish Cultural Centre in Canton – Be sure to visit www.irishculture.org ~ the Irish Cultural Center website to check out all the happenings and events.
- Irish Massachusetts – visit www.irishmassachusetts.com to catch a full round-up of fall concerts and events . . . the official site of (BITA) Boston Irish Tourism Association.
- Somerville Irish Music Meetup – learn and practice Irish Session Tunes, and to listen to Irish Music
- The Burren sessions and Backroom events in Somerville
- Even more links . .
Get our Newsletter delivered to your InBox as soon as it is available; sign up for membership here.